Rockets destroy Pines Charter Jaguars, 71-10
admin | 11/23/2011, 7:55 a.m.
Amidst false allegations of having an ineligible player on the team that called their entire season into question, the Central Rockets had a lot to prove Friday night in their quarter final game against the Pembroke Pines Charter Jaguars. Quarterback Austin Stock was under investigation after an anonymous packet with video and photos was sent to The Miami Herald and the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) that claimed the quarterback lived outside of Centrals district. According to updated information on Miamiherald.com, the proper paperwork was filed and there was no discrepancy the FHSAA has yet to officially rule on the matter, pending more information. However, against that backdrop, the Rockets executed almost flawless play, quieting the storm as they plundered and shutout the Jaguars (6-5) 71-0. Without going into much detail about the controversy, Central head coach Telly Lockette said that it only made the team stronger. It added fuel to the fire, Lockette said. Its sad that somebody would try to do that to discredit a kid. While Central (10-0) play showed otherwise, Lockette said that he sure it was on the minds of his players at least a little bit. Some of that will play into your psyche, he said. But were growing from it. Centrals players showed no mercy, perhaps sending a message to other teams that they will not be stopped, scoring 35 points in the first quarter. Stock threw for 161 yards and two touchdown passes, including a 77-yard pass for touchdown to senior receiver Darreal Joyner. Centrals running game dominated, garnering 313 yards on the night, led by sophomore running back Dalvin Cooke, who collected 130 yards on 3 carries for two touchdowns. Sophomore running back, Joseph Yearby had two touchdowns in the first quarter; his third was called back. It was evident early on that the Jaguars had no chance as they had only two first downs in the first quarter. Centrals defense had back-to-back sacks and tackles for big losses and refused to budge. The Rockets next game is a rematch against the team they beat earlier this year in quadruple overtime Belen Jesuit. The game kicks off on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Traz Powell. By Akilah LasterMiami Times firstname.lastname@example.org