Crime Scene

caines | 8/16/2012, 5:30 a.m.

Kidnapping ends in police shootout inHomestead

A kidnapping plot in southern Miami-Dade ended with a woman being shot to death by police in Homestead. Investigators said it began last Wednesday when two teens, ages 17 and 19, were taken at gunpoint. The kidnappers then called the boys family and demanded a quarter of a million dollars in ransom for their safe return. The family got in touch with the police whose investigation led them to the Cocowalk mobile home development in Homestead. Undercover detectives stormed unit #72 and found six people suspected of being part of the kidnapping plot inside. Also inside the mobile home, police found both of the teens. They said the younger one had been severely beaten in effort to extract the ransom from the family.

S. Fla. track coach accused of molestingstudent

A former South Florida high school track coach accused of molesting one of his students is in the Broward County jail getting ready to bond out. Matthew Love, 42, was arrested on August, 8th. Hes charged with three counts of Lewd and Lascivious molestation on a child between 12 -16 years old.

Convenience store shooting suspect deniedbond

The man suspected in a July convenience store shooting will not be getting out of jail anytime soon. Gevaenydo K. McKenzie surrendered at the Fort Lauderdale Police Department last Wednesday night where he was charged with attempted murder. On Thursday morning he was denied bond in court. The clerk, 21-year old Ramzi Fogahaa, survived the attack but could be paralyzed because one of the bullets lodged in his spine. He was listed in critical condition after the shooting.

Detective wounded in alleged grow house shooting released fromJMH

The Miami-Dade Police detective wounded during a shootout at a suspected marijuana grow house has been released from the hospital. Det. John Saavedra, 34, was discharged from Jackson Memorial Hospital last Wednesday afternoon. Saavedra was shot three times after a gunman opened fire on detectives who showed up to the home on July 31 and asked for consent to search a grow house that they later discovered had 80 pounds of marijuana worth $90,000 inside it.