Quantcast

Breast cancer — raising funds and awareness both vital

Survivor Allen says “there is strength in numbers”

Gigi Tinsley | 10/24/2013, 9 a.m.
Susan G. Komen’s Annual Race for the Cure was held last Saturday and more than 20,000 walkers and runners joined ...

Susan G. Komen’s Annual Race for the Cure was held last Saturday and more than 20,000 walkers and runners joined together to help the cause. The race honored breast cancer survivors, supported those dealing with breast cancer diagnosis and raised money for research to end the debilitating and life-threatening disease. Since its inception in 1995, the Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale affiliate has raised more than $13 million. In accordance with Komen’s guidelines, 75 percent of the net dollars raised through local events, including the annual Race for the Cure, stay in the local community to fund breast cancer screening, education and treatment initiatives. The remaining 25 percent is pooled with Komen’s national efforts to fund research programs.

The Komen initiative has funded $1.3 million this year through 36 diverse organizations including not-for-profit organizations, public health agencies and community groups in Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties. According to a company spokesperson, these projects will have the greatest impact in serving uninsured and underinsured individuals in the tri-county area.

“The awareness and prevention is a program that goes on year-round,” said Patricia R. Wright, a member of the Miami Gardens Commission for Women [MGCW]. Their 2nd Annual Breast Cancer and Heart Disease Awareness Health Fair takes place on Saturday, Oct. 26 at the Betty T. Ferguson Recreational Complex [3000 NW 199th St., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The purpose of the health fair is to increase awareness through education and prevention. Free breast screenings by Community Life Support and free breast exams through Sister’s Network Miami Chapter (pre-registration is required). Follow-up support will be provided. In addition, free basic health screenings such as: immunizations, blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol will be provided. Among women, breast cancer is the second cause of death; heart disease is the first. But among forms of cancer, lung cancer deaths exceed those related to breast cancer. Approximately one out of every 36 women will die from breast cancer in 2013, according to data released by Breast Cancer Awareness, Inc.

For more about Saturday’s event, call 786-202-2665.