Michael Dunn’s murder trial delayed
Miami Times staff report | 5/1/2014, 9 a.m.
Michael Dunn’s first-degree murder trial for the shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis was delayed last week when he waived his right to a speedy trial before Circuit Judge Russell Healey in Jacksonville.
The trial was originally scheduled for May 5 but will be rescheduled at a pretrial hearing on June 9.
Dunn’s attorney, Waffa Hanania said she needed more time to prepare her client’s defense.
Dunn’s original lawyer, Cory Strolla, was paid by his parents. Hanania will be paid with taxpayers' money.
Assistant State Attorney John Guy did not object to the delay.
This will be second trial for Dunn, who was convicted on three counts of attempted second-degree murder in February. A partial mistrial was declared on the first-degree murder charge after the jury ended up deadlocked on whether he was guilty of killing Davis.
Dunn, 47, is accused of killing Davis at a Southside gas station in November 2012 while in town for his son’s wedding. Dunn fired at Davis and three of his friends during a dispute over the teens' music.
Dunn maintains he saw a gun and killed Davis in self-defense. Only Davis was shot and killed.
But friends with Davis and other witnesses said there wasn’t a gun in the car.
Under Florida law, Dunn was required to be retried by May 12 unless he waived his right to a speedy trial. Dunn waived that right last Wednesday.
Dunn already faces at least 60 years in prison from his second-degree murder convictions under Florida’s 10-20-life law. Healey previously agreed to delay sentencing Dunn until after he was retried for the first-degree murder charge.
But on Wednesday, Guy said prosecutors might still seek to revisit that issue and were planning to file a motion asking for Dunn to be sentenced for attempted murder before the murder trial begins.